Welcome to
Massucci Law Group LLC

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Child Custody
  4.  » What to know about collecting back child support

What to know about collecting back child support

On Behalf of | Aug 6, 2020 | Child Custody |

If a non-custodial parent in Columbus, Ohio, stops child support payments on purpose, they could be taken to court over the debt. Laws in most states consider missed child support payments a debt. The Office of Child Support Enforcement has regulations in place that help the custodial parent collect back child support and avoid defaults.

Since 1994, the Office of Child Support Enforcement has included a provision to make it legal for the owed money to be collected from the non-custodial parent. The court can withhold the money from paychecks, worker’s compensation, pensions and bonuses. If the child support order did not include the wage withholding provision, the custodial parent may file a court order.

When a non-custodial parent fails to pay or gets behind, the custodial parent should check with the local child support office. The odds are high the child support office has already taken action. These offices commonly conduct a quarterly search through Financial Institution Data Match to find parents who have not paid and issue liens or levies to collect the payment.

If back payments total $2,500 or more, the local child support office turns the case over to the U.S Department of State. The U.S Department of State may garnish wages, seize assets, deny passports or place liens on vehicles or real estate. All employers must report any new employs to the Federal Case Registry and National Directory of New Hires to assist the federal government in locating delinquent parents.

Sometimes, the child support office will take the delinquent party to court, but it might not take legal action in all cases. In such a situation, a family law attorney may help the custodial parent pursue unpaid child support. If the custodial parent has hired a child support attorney and the child support office has already taken legal action, the parent will want to ensure that no conflicting decisions occur.


RSS Feed

FindLaw Network